2013 Report of Long Term Disability (LTD) Claims
The Council for Disability Awareness issued its 2013 report which summarizes Long Term Disability (“LTD”) claim data and identifies continuing and emerging trends. Seventeen CDA member insurance companies, representing over 75% of the disability insurance market, contributed disability claim data for this report.
- $9.4 Billion in Long Term Disability insurance claim payments were made in 2012 by CDA members
- 662,000 disabled persons received LTD benefits from CDA members in 2012
- 154,000 new disabled persons were approved for LTD benefits
- 1 in 4 of today’s 20 year olds will become disabled prior to retirement age
- Average LTD claim duration is 31.2 months
Leading Causes of Long Term Disability Claims:
- Neck, Back and Joint Disorders (30.6%), including Arthritis, Herniated Disc, Bulging Disc, Osteoporosis, Rheumatism, Scoliosis, Back Pain and Sciatica
- Nervous System Disorders (13.9%), including Multiple Sclerosis; Epilepsy, ALS, Paralysis, Bell’s Palsy, Macular Degeneration and Meniere’s Disease
- Cardiovascular and Circulatory Diseases (12.3%), including Heart Disease, Heart Attack, Stroke, Aneurysm, Coronary Artery Disease (CAD) and Angina
- Cancer (8.9%) including Breast Cancer, Prostate Cancer, Lymphoma, Leukemia, Hodgkin’s Disease and Tumors
- Mental Illness (8%) including Depression, Anxiety, and Bi-Polar Disorder
- In the Manufacturing, Transportation, Retail Trade and Financial Services Industries, New Claims Trended Down
- In the Health Services, Education Services and Public Sectors, the Number of New LTD Claims Trended Upwards
- The Number of Employers Offering LTD Coverage remained level at approx. 207,000 Employers
- The Number of Insured Workers Increased 1% to 32.3 Million
The 2013 survey participants included most of the major disability insurers, including, among other insurers, Aetna, AIG, Ameritas, Assurant, Guardian, The Hartford, Lincoln Financial Group, MassMutual, MetLife, Prudential, Sun Life and Unum.
If you would like a free copy of, or weblink to, these Long Term Disability Key Findings, contact us at 1-888-978-4048/502-587-1983 or via our contact form. We plan on adding the most recent LTD Key Findings in the near future, check back soon.